- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk, whole or low fat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Depending on how this cake is to be customized, it can be baked in 3 (9-inch) round layer pans, 5 (8-inch) round layer pans, or 1 (9×13-inch) sheet pan.
To make the cake chocolate: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the dry ingredients OR 3 ounces melted baking chocolate, cooled and added when the eggs are added.
To make the cake strawberry: Add a 3-ounce box of strawberry Jell-O to the dry ingredients AND 1 cup mashed strawberries with the eggs.