- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 tablespoons heavy cream
American Buttercream Frosting
Yield: 3 cups
Creamy, fluffy and not overly sweet compared to some frostings, this simple recipe is the go-to for hand-frosted everyday cakes and cupcakes.
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment), beat butter and sifted confectioners’ sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix until smooth. Use immediately or store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days, allowing frosting to reach room temperature before using.
- To create a lighter colored frosting, use clear vanilla extract, cream the butter longer, and substitute 1/2 of the butter with shortening.
- For a sweeter frosting, add ¼ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar at a time until the desired sweetness is reached.
- This is a great everyday frosting to hand frost cakes and cupcakes for that homey, homemade look. Substituting part or all of the butter with shortening is recommended if using for piping.
You May Also Like
Can I also get the recipe for caramel frosting?
Hi Natasha, There is a Cream Cheese Caramel Recipe on page 8 of our 15 Recipes for Everyday Baking recipe booklet. And Maple Buttercream Frosting on Pg 18. The Maple Buttercream has a similar flavor profile to a Caramel Frosting. Happy baking!
Can you use salted butter if you don’t have unsalted butter?
Hi Christine, Yes, you can certainly use salted butter in this frosting recipe. It will give you a slightly different flavor, but should not cause adverse effects to the other ingredients. Happy Baking!
I have a baking group with more than 16K bakers in it. We LOVE Swans Down!!! If there’s any chance we can partner or have you a part of our page we’d live to have you! Check us out on FB, The Pound Cake Chics! #SwansDownLove
SwansDown has been used in our family since before I was born! My Aunty made the best pound cake and wouldn’t use any other flour! I use her recipe (but she still had the magic touch over mine!) So glad I found your page on the Facebook!
Hi Michelle, We LOVE hearing stories of baking traditions being passed down and are happy that you have found us too. Happy Baking!
Do you have a good recipe for caramel frosting ?
Hi Barbara, Check your e-mail. We sent you a recipe for Caramel Frosting. Happy Baking!
I ❤️ You recipe.
I want a good old fashion chocolate recipe that taste’s alittle like fudge
Hi Jeanne, Try our Chocolate Fudge Cake. It’s been in our collect for years. It’s a tried a true Fudge Cake Recipe. Happy baking!
I bought your flour in Fort Buchanan Military Base in Puerto Rico.
Thank you to sent me a recipe sheets. You’re my inspiration. I’ll dedicate my diploma to you. Am studying in the University and I am using your product, flour. Thanks to be my mentor and sponsor. I would like to have any recipe book from Swams Downs for my presentation in August 2021. Let me know how much cost and the way to get it.
At the present time, I have to practice very hard how to cook and decorate a wedding cake. We have 4 months taking virtual classes and 2 months in the classroom, kitchen laboratory.
Hi Gethzaida, Thank you for the kind words. We love hearing from our happy Swans Down users. I’ve asked our Consumer Affairs to get in touch with you. Best of luck with your studies, and please let us know how your presentation cake turns out. Happy baking!
Please make your pictures of foods so they can be copied. Thank you. PJ
PJ, We will pass this request on for consideration. Happy baking!
I love this frosting. I changed it into chocolate by adding 1/3 cup of baking cocoa and a little more milk. Delicious. My new favorite. Creamy, smooth and easy to spread.
Should you put this frosting in the refrigerator if you don’t use it all