American Buttercream Frosting
Creamy, fluffy and not overly sweet compared to some frostings, this simple recipe is the go-to for hand-frosted everyday cakes and cupcakes.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment), beat butter and sifted confectioners’ sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix until smooth. Use immediately or store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days, allowing frosting to reach room temperature before using.
- To create a lighter colored frosting, use clear vanilla extract, cream the butter longer, and substitute 1/2 of the butter with shortening.
- For a sweeter frosting, add ¼ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar at a time until the desired sweetness is reached.
- This is a great everyday frosting to hand frost cakes and cupcakes for that homey, homemade look. Substituting part or all of the butter with shortening is recommended if using for piping.