Bourbon & Eggnog Quick Bread
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 60 min
Yield: 1 (8.5x4.5-inch) loaf or 4 (3x5-inch) mini
Eggnog and bourbon (or rum) and a light dusting of nutmeg on top make this tender quick bread a festive, home-baked favorite for gift giving and serving during the holidays.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup eggnog
- Bourbon Syrup (recipe follows)
- Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bourbon (or rum)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
- PREHEAT oven to 350℉. Grease an 8.5×4.5-inch bread pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- BEAT butter, sugar, and brown sugar, in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix to incorporate.
- WHISK cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together in separate medium bowl until combined.
- ADD a third of flour mixture into butter mixture, alternately with eggnog and ending with flour mixture until everything is combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan.
- MAKE BOURBON SYRUP: Stir sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add bourbon to taste.
- POKE holes with a toothpick over the top of the cake and brush with bourbon syrup. Let cool completely.
- MAKE GLAZE: Mix confectioners’ sugar and eggnog together until a thick glaze forms. (It should be just thin enough to drip over the sides of the loaf but still hold shape.)
- SPREAD top of loaf with glaze, allowing it to drip over sides of loaf; sprinkle with nutmeg and allow glaze to set.