Prep: 30 min
Bake: 70 min
Yield: 1 8-inch pie (6 pieces)
This twist on traditional pumpkin pie filling adds chai spices (ginger, cardamom and cinnamon). Using cake flour is great for pie dough because it makes for an especially tender crust!
- 1 1/2 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed and refrigerator cold
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup ice-cold water
- 15 ounces plain pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, whisked, for egg wash
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- PREPARE PIE SHELL: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add cold butter and work it into flour mixture with your fingers until the butter and flour resembles coarse sand. Do not overwork the dough. It’s okay to have flakes of butter showing; it will add to the flakiness of the dough.
- ADD the ice-cold water to dough, while whisking, a tablespoon at a time, just until dough comes together in a ball.
- DIVIDE dough into 2 disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Rest the dough in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- REMOVE one chilled dough disk and unwrap. (The second dough disk can be reserved or frozen for later use.) Roll dough disk into a circle large enough to cover a 9-inch pie pan with an extra 1⁄4 inch overhang. Place dough into a pie pan, fold dough edges around pan edge and crimp. Place pan in refrigerator to chill the dough for another 20 minutes.
- REMOVE pan from refrigerator and line with parchment and pie weights. (Beans make good pie weights.) Bake for 10 minutes. Remove parchment and weights, dock the dough (prick with a fork) and return to oven for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and brush bottom and sides with egg wash. Set aside. Lower oven temp to 350°F.
- MAKE PIE: Mix pumpkin puree, brown sugar, black pepper, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt in a medium pot. Set aside.
- WHISK eggs and evaporated milk together and mix into the pumpkin puree. Heat mixture over medium heat until warmed through.
- POUR pumpkin mixture into parbaked pie shell. Egg-wash the edges and tent them with foil to keep from over-browning.
- BAKE pie for 50 minutes or until center is set. Remove foil after 30 minutes if the edges need more color. Allow to cool and top with dollops of whipped cream before serving.