Apple Fritter Loaf With Salted Caramel Glaze
This super-easy quick bread is filled with apples and cinnamon and served warm, topped with a salted caramel glaze. It's a delicious way to enjoy the flavor of old fashioned apple fritters, but without the fuss of frying.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter milk
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Swans Down Cake Flour
FOR SALTED CARAMEL GLAZE
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE CAKE
PREHEAT oven to 350°F
SPRAY a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with oil and line bottom with
- MIX brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- WHISK cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- BEAT butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- ADD eggs and vanilla extract to butter mixture. Beat until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- ADD flour mixture to bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- ADD butter milk. Mix on low speed until smooth and fully incorporated.
- TOSS diced apples with 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons cake flour.
- SPREAD 1/2 of batter into bottom of loaf pan.
- TOP with 1/2 of the apples mixture.
- SPRINKLE 1/2 of the brown sugar mixture over the apples.
- TOP with remaining batter. ADD remaining apple mixture and brown sugar mixture.
- SWIRL zig zags through the cake with a skewer.
- BAKE for 40 – 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- COOL in pan.
- PLACE brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, vanilla, and salt in small sauce pan over medium heat.
- BRING to a boil while stirring with a wooden spoon. Lower heat and continue stirring until
sugar is completely dissolved.
- COOL slightly and poor over top of cake.