FOR THE CAKE
PREHEAT oven to 350°F
SPRAY loaf pan with oil and line bottom with
- MIX brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- WHISK cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- BEAT butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- ADD eggs and vanilla extract to butter mixture. Beat until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- ADD flour mixture to bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
- ADD butter milk. Mix on low speed until smooth and fully incorporated.
- TOSS diced apples with 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons cake flour.
- SPREAD 1⁄2 of batter into bottom of loaf pan.
- TOP with 1⁄2 of the apples mixture.
- SPRINKLE 1⁄2 of the brown sugar mixture over the apples.
- TOP with remaining batter. ADD remaining apple mixture and brown sugar mixture.
- SWIRL zig zags through the cake with a skewer.
- BAKE for 40 – 50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- COOL in pan.
- PLACE brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, vanilla, and salt in small sauce pan over medium heat.
- BRING to a boil while stirring with a wooden spoon. Lower heat and continue stirring until
sugar is completely dissolved.
- COOL slightly and poor over top of cake.