Red Velvet “Let’s Make Whoopie” Pies
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 12 min
Yield: 12 pies
Put a smile on your sweetheart’s face with these lovely little red velvet confections on Valentine’s Day, but keep this yummy recipe around for an easy, fresh-baked treat anytime of year.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- Confectioners’ sugar, for decorating
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- Make Cake: Preheat oven to 350℉ and line 2 sheet pans with parchment.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar at medium speed in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle, until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until incorporated. Add buttermilk and vanilla extract. (The batter will look broken.) Add flour mixture and mix on low to medium-low speed until smooth. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Spoon 24 dollops (each about 2 tablespoons) onto prepared sheet pans, 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until center of cakes springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Make Filling: Cream butter, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add marshmallow cream and mix until incorporated. Place in a piping bag.
- Assemble Pies: Pipe the filling onto the flat side of 12 cakes. Top them with the remaining cakes, flat side down. Sift confectioners’ sugar on pie tops using a heart-shaped stencil, if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Made that receipt twice and they were just the thing. Good, small, pretty, and easy.