Prep: 30 min
Bake: 15 min
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
Cakes have been rolled up in American kitchens with fillings like jelly, jam, frostings and whipped cream since at least the mid-1800s, when a rolled cake first appeared in a published recipe book. Seal it with beautiful, shiny Chocolate Ganache covering and serve it as the ultimate sweet gift.
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder + extra for sprinkling on top
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Make Cake: Preheat oven to 425℉. Grease an 18×13-inch sheet pan and line with parchment paper. Have a clean, flat-weave (not terrycloth) kitchen towel on hand for later use.
- Combine flour and cocoa powder in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla extract, salt and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk until it’s tripled in volume and reaches ribbon stage. (When you drizzle some of the batter over itself it should sit on top for at least 5 seconds before sinking down.) Slowly add oil into batter while whisking. Continue mixing until incorporated.
- Release from mixer and sift flour mixture onto batter. Fold in gently with a rubber spatula or balloon whisk until incorporated, keeping as much air in the batter as possible. Pour batter into prepared pan and carefully smooth the surface with an offset spatula. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place the clean kitchen towel on a flat surface and sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons cocoa powder. Turn the cake out of the pan and onto the kitchen towel; remove parchment paper. While the cake is still hot, roll it up in the towel (the towel will be rolled up inside the cake) rolling from a short side. Place the rolled-up cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make Filling: Cream butter, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Add marshmallow cream and mix until incorporated. Place in piping bag.
- Make Chocolate Ganache: Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat heavy cream in microwave or small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and let set for 1 minute. Stir until all chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Assemble Cake: When the rolled cake has cooled to room temperature, lay it on a flat surface and carefully unroll it. Spread filling evenly over cake surface, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Reroll the cake up tightly without the towel, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to set.
- Remove chilled cake from refrigerator, unwrap and place on a wire rack with a sheet pan underneath to catch drips. Pour the Ganache evenly over the cake roll and let set. Using a serrated knife, trim the ends off for a smooth finish, revealing the rolled cake layers. Transfer to a serving platter.