Chocolate Coffee Mayonnaise Cake
Cake flour and creamy mayonnaise in the batter give this coffee-boosted chocolate cake a luxurious crumb unlike any other. Chocolate frosting doubles down on the decadence, making this the ultimate cocoa extravagance.
- 1 1/3 cups hot, strong brewed French Market® Coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, room temperature
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
Makes about 5 cups
- 8 ounces 60% cacao bittersweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 7 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- MAKE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake bans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- IN a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together coffee and cocoa powder until completely blended. Let stand until cooled.
- SIFT together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, combine brown sugar and eggs and beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add mayonnaise and beat at low speed until well combined. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- DIVIDE batter between prepared pans. Bake for 28 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pans onto wire racks and let cool completely. Level cake layers, if desired; remove and discard parchment.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE: Spread 1 1/2 cups Creamy Chocolate Frosting between layers. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake.
- MAKE FROSTING: Melt chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes.
- BEAT confectioners’ sugar, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl, with a mixer on low speed, until smooth and well combined, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until well combined, stopping to scrape bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Use immediately.