- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) water
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (.21 ounces) salt
- 1 1/2 (.22 ounces) teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups (7.06 ounces) Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 3 large eggs + 1 extra egg white
Baking times will vary depending on what you’re making with the dough. To make cream puffs, preheat oven to 400℉ and pipe small mounds of dough (about 1 ½ inches wide) onto baking sheets, leaving at least 1 inch between them. Bake about 30 minutes, shifting baking sheets from top to bottom and back to front, until browned and puffed. The puffs should be hollow inside and slightly crisp on the outside. Halve the puffs, fill with pastry cream, replace puff tops and sift confectioners’ sugar on top.
Don’t open the oven while it bakes.
Baked pâte à choux can be stored in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days or in the freezer for up to a month. (To defrost, warm in a 325℉ oven for 6 to 8 minutes.)