- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 cups toasted sesame seeds
Italian Sesame Cookies (Giuggiulena)
Prep: 80 min
Bake: 10 min
Yield: 7 to 8 dozen
These festive Italian cookies are similar in crunchiness to biscotti and are great for serving with (or dipping into) coffee or tea. They’re rolled in sesame seeds and have a delicious hint of anise flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment. Cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and add to butter mixture, mixing until dough comes together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place milk and sesame seeds into 2 separate bowls and set aside. Cut dough into 8 portions, roll each portion into a 24-inch long rope and cut the ropes into 2-inch pieces. Dip or brush each piece in milk and then roll in sesame seeds. Place on prepared sheet pans.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let cool completely.
- To toast raw sesame seeds, place seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until light golden brown and fragrant. Let cool before using.
You May Also Like