Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 30 min
Yield: 18 cup cakes
Dress up these easy-to-make cupcakes for a special occasion with strawberries dipped in chocolate and a big dollop of fresh-made whipped cream.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot coffee (we used French Market® Coffee)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
- 18 fresh strawberries, cleaned, with stem and leaves
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325℉ and line 2 regular (12-cupcake) pans with 18 tulip-style paper liners. (The second pan will have 6 empty wells.)
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar in a large bowl. Add oil and coffee and whisk until combined. Add buttermilk until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. (Batter will be thin.)
- Divide batter evenly in the 18 paper-lined wells in the cupcake pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries: Line a 13×18-inch sheet pan with parchment. Melt chocolate in microwave until smooth, stopping to stir every 30 seconds. Hold the stem of each strawberry and dip into melted chocolate; drip off excess and place on prepared sheet pan. Cover and chill in refrigerator until chocolate is set.
- Make Whipped Cream: Place heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Whisk on medium-high speed until it starts to thicken. Raise speed to high until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble Cupcakes: Place Whipped Cream in a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe onto each cupcake. Top with Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries and decorate with sprinkles, if desired.