- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar or powdered sugar for coating
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 20 min
Yield: 1 dozen
Most every cuisine has its own kind of deep-fried dough, and Zeppole are the Italian version. A popular treat during Venice’s carnival season, these tasty round fritters can be dusted with confectioners’ or granulated sugar, filled with custard, jelly or cannoli-style pastry cream, or served with a dipping sauce.
- PLACE water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Let stand for 2 to 5 minutes to let yeast bloom.
- COMBINE flour and salt in a small bowl. Add flour mixture, vanilla and olive oil to yeast mixture. Mix with dough hook until combined. The dough will be sticky. Cover bowl with plastic and let rest in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours.
- HEAT oil to 370℉ in a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan or in a deep fryer. Using a 2-ounce scoop, carefully drop dough into hot oil. Do not overcrowd. Fry until golden brown, turning to fry evenly on each side.
REMOVE from oil with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a sheet pan lined with paper towels or a wire rack and allow to drain. Toss in a bowl with sugar or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- SERVE warm as is, or with your favorite dipping sauce.
You May Also Like
We made these zeppoles and they turned out great !