- 4 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sultana raisins
- 1/2 pound each crystallized orange peel, lemon peel, pineapple, and red cherries, finely cut,
- 1 pound blanched almonds, finely cut
- 1 cup butter or other shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 pound citron (candied citrus peel), finely cut
- 10 egg whites, stiffly beaten
SIFT flour once, measure, add baking powder, soda, and salt, and sift together three times. Sift 1 cup of flour mixture over fruits and nuts; mix thoroughly.
CREAM shortening thoroughly, add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy. Add remaining flour mixture to creamed, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth. Add lemon juice, fruits, and nuts. Fold in egg whites.
POUR into paper-lined tube pan or small bread pans, 2×2¾x4½ inches. Bake in slow oven (250°F) for 2 1/2 hours, then increase to 300°F for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and decorate.