- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon to grease pan
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Swan’s Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
Prep: 5 min
Bake: 30 min
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
There's nothing like the crusty, buttery edges of a homemade cornbread when it's baked the old-fashioned way in a cast-iron skillet. Serve hot and buttered as a side with beans and greens, soups and stews and turkey dinners.
- PREHEAT oven to 375℉.
- GREASE a 10-inch skillet with butter or bacon grease.
- WHISK together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- COMBINE egg, buttermilk, melted butter and honey in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- BAKE until top is golden brown and the edges have pulled away from the sides of pan, about 30 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven and let stand for 5 minutes; serve with butter and honey.
You May Also Like
To the one that’s say flour don’t go in cornbread it goes in mine everyone I knew put flour in there corn bread and I am from Alabama even on the cooling shows they put flour in cornbread. Not cake flour just plain selfrising flour. I Love some of these recipes and I will be making and already made some of them.
Hey, I love your site, but I need to let you know that true cornbread does not have flour in it, which is why it is called cornbread.
Thank you for the post. We appreciate everyone’s feedback. Happy baking!
I will be writing down all of your recipes.
Hi Jo Ann, We love hearing from our happy consumers! Versus writing the recipes down, we have print capabilities on each recipe page that you can utilize. Or within the print setting where you would select your printer you should be able to select save as a pdf file onto your computer. Happy baking!
I will be cooking alot of your recipes
I will be cooking alot
of your recipes
I like your recipes