Prep: 5 min
Bake: 30 min
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
There's nothing like the crusty, buttery edges of a homemade cornbread when it's baked the old-fashioned way in a cast-iron skillet. Serve hot and buttered as a side with beans and greens, soups and stews and turkey dinners.
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon to grease pan
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Swan’s Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- PREHEAT oven to 375℉.
- GREASE a 10-inch skillet with butter or bacon grease.
- WHISK together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- COMBINE egg, buttermilk, melted butter and honey in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- BAKE until top is golden brown and the edges have pulled away from the sides of pan, about 30 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven and let stand for 5 minutes; serve with butter and honey.