Prep: 30 min
Bake: 15 min
Yield: Makes about 16 biscuits
How do you make light, flaky Swans Down biscuits better? Fold some sharp Cheddar and green onions into the dough. A basket of biscuits on the table is a delicious dinner bell.
- 4 1/3 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup cold whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- PREHEAT oven to 425°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- SIFT flour, and lightly spoon into a measuring cup for 4 1/3 cups. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, and baking soda; sift again.
- CUT in butter until pieces are pea size, using a pastry blender or two forks.
- STIR in cheese and green onion until well combined. Stir in buttermilk just until combined. (Dough may look dry and crumbly in spots, but will come together later.)
- TURN out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead 5 times. Pat dough into an 8-inch square, and cut into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other and roll or pat down into an 8-inch square again. Repeat cutting and stacking process 2 more times, rolling or patting dough 1 inch thick for final time.
- CUT dough, without twisting, using a floured 2.25-inch round cutter. Reroll and cut scraps as needed. Place biscuits at least 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- FREEZE biscuits for 15 minutes.
- BRUSH biscuits with egg white and bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm.