Nutella-Stuffed Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Prep: 30 min
Bake: 12 min
Yield: 32 cookies
Rolling cookie dough in confectioner’s sugar pulls moisture from the cookie’s surface, resulting in the delightful cracked and “crinkly” look of these chewy, chocolatey confections. A dab of Nutella in the center makes them irresistible.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup melted, unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (13-ounce) jar Nutella® Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- IN the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add 1 cup of the cocoa powder and the sugar and butter; mix until well combined. Add eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.
- WHISK together flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to cocoa mixture and blend until just combined. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- MEASURE 1/4 teaspoon size scoops of Nutella and place on several small baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Freeze for at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
- PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- SCOOP dough into 1-inch balls. Make an indentation in each ball with your thumb and place a frozen scoop of Nutella in, pinching the dough closed. Roll each ball in the chopped hazelnuts and then confectioners’ sugar and place on the baking sheets about 1 inch apart.
- BAKE for 12 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
- Because the Nutella defrosts quickly and can become difficult to handle, fill the dough balls in small batches, removing the Nutella scoops from freezer only as needed for each batch.