- 3 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- rainbow sprinkles
Mexican Sprinkle Cookies (Galletas Grageas)
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 15 min
Yield: 12 to 24 cookies (depending on size)
These festive sugar cookies are a mainstay in any panaderia, or pastry shop, in Mexico and beyond. They’re coated in colorful sprinkles to make them crunchy on the outside, and they have a soft, buttery interior.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and continue beating until incorporated. Add flour mixture into the butter mixture in two batches, scraping down bowl after each addition.
- Portion dough out using an ice cream scoop. Coat one side of each dough ball with the sprinkles and place on prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart, sprinkle side up. Press each ball into a 1/4-inch thick cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool completely on baking sheets.