Prep: 20 min
Bake: 60 min
Yield: 1 Cake
An oh-so-moist cake that’s traditionally made with tres leches (3 milks), is boosted to cinco leches (5 milks), because why not? Perfect to serve for Cinco de Mayo, but really, this is an anytime cake because it’s so easy to make. Be sure to let it chill in the refrigerator overnight. The fourth milk is almond milk, which can always be substituted with regular whole milk, and the fifth milk is heavy cream – whipped, sweetened and served in a dollop on top.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, to grease pan
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Swans Down Cake Flour
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- ⅔ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons light rum
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Heavy cream, sweetened and whipped, for topping
- LIGHTLY grease a 9-inch square cake pan with butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the flour.
- COMBINE half of the evaporated milk in a medium-size mixing bowl with condensed milk, coconut milk, almond milk, rum, lime zest and vanilla. Whisk until combined, then transfer milk mixture to refrigerator.
- WHISK flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl.
- BEAT egg whites in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating to blend with each addition. Scrape down sides.
- ADD flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the remaining evaporated milk, beginning and ending with the flour.
- SCRAPE batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- TRANSFER cake to a wire rack to cool.
- USE a cake tester or a toothpick to poke holes all over the cake.
- REMOVE milk mixture from refrigerator; slowly pour ½ cup of mixture all over cake. Let stand until liquid is absorbed. Repeat process until all of milk mixture is used.
- COVER cake and transfer to refrigerator; let stand overnight.
- SERVE cake topped to taste with the fifth milk – sweetened and whipped heavy cream. Cake can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.