Chocolate Cupcakes with German Buttercream
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 18 min
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Rich, extra-chocolatey cupcakes are paired with a silky buttercream frosting. Dust the tops with cocoa powder or decorate with sprinkles or candies.
- 1 1/2 cup sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder + extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a standard cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment; whisk until well combined.
- Starting with a portion of the flour mixture, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk into the egg mixture, whisking until just combined after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, being careful to fill each well only halfway with batter. (This batter will rise high and will spill over sides or sink if filled too high. If there is extra batter, reserve for another use or add a pan.)
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost the completely cooled cupcakes and dust the tops with cocoa powder.