Cheesy Heirloom Tomato and Herb Pie
Prep: 45 min
Bake: 45 min
Yield: Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
Fresh and homemade makes all the difference. Slices of tomatoes layered with cheeses, mayo and spices makes a delicious filling for a tender Swans Down Cake Flour pie crust.
- 2 1/4 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 2 1/4 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch-thick, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- Fresh oregano leaves, fresh basil leaves and ground black pepper, for garnish
- MAKE CRUST: Sift flour, and lightly spoon into a measuring cup for 2 1/4 cups. In a medium bowl, combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- COMBINE flour mixture and butter in the work bowl of a food processor; pulse until butter pieces are pea size. Add egg yolk and vinegar; pulse 2 to 4 times just until combined. Add ice-cold water and pulse until dough forms large clumps.
- TURN out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Form into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- LET dough sit at room temperature until slightly softened, 10 to 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- PRESS dough over bottom and up sides of a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan. Trim dough, if needed, leaving a 1/2- to 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edges under; crimp as desired. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Position rack in center of oven.
- LINE piecrust with a sheet of greased parchment paper; fill with pie weights, dried beans or raw rice.
- BAKE until crust edges feel set, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove parchment and weights. Bake until edges are lightly golden and bottom is dry and set, 8 to 10 minutes, covering crust with foil to prevent excess browning, if needed. (Crust may puff slightly in places.) Let cool completely on a wire rack. Position rack in lower third of oven.
- MAKE FILLING: Place tomato slices on paper towel-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pat dry.
- STIR together Cheddar, mayonnaise, Parmesan, egg, basil, oregano, mustard, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- SPRINKLE red onion over bottom of prepared piecrust. Top with half of Cheddar mixture, followed by half of tomatoes layered in an overlapping pattern. Repeat with remaining half of Cheddar mixture and remaining half of tomatoes.
- BAKE until crust is golden brown and center is set, 40 to 50 minutes, covering crust with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning, if needed. Let cool completely before cutting. Garnish with oregano, basil, and pepper, if desired, and serve at room temperature.