Roasted Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
Prep: 45 min
Bake: 25 min
Yield: About 6 servings
A pretty, savory tart with a flaky crust, sweet roasted butternut squash and onions, tangy goat cheese and minty thyme. Serve warm as an appetizer, or add a side salad to make it a meal.
- 15 ounces Puff Pastry dough
- 1 tablespoon Swans Down® Cake Flour, for rolling dough
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Roasted Butternut Squash (recipe follows)
- Caramelized Onion (recipe follows)
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, whisked, for egg wash
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Toss butternut squash, olive oil, salt and pepper together and spread out on prepared sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- MAKE CARAMELIZED ONION: Cook and stir butter, onion, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it becomes golden brown. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE TART: Set oven to 400°F. Line a 9 x 13 sheet pan with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll dough out into a 7 1⁄2 x 12 1⁄2 rectangle. Place dough on prepared sheet pan and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- REMOVE dough from refrigerator. Score a 1⁄2-inch border with a knife, making sure not to cut all the way through. Dock the middle of the dough with a fork and brush olive oil over center of dough. Season with salt and pepper.
- LAYER squash mixture, caramelized onions, goat cheese and fresh thyme over center of dough. Brush top edges of dough with egg wash.
- BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and flaky. Serve warm.