Prep: 30 min
Bake: 45 min
Yield: 3-layered 6-inch cake (or 12-16 cupcakes)
Fragrant, flavorful almond extract isn’t just for weddings! Enjoy this almond cake for any occasion. The only thing that could make it any better is a scoop of ice cream on the side.
- 3 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 ounces buttermilk, divided
- 4 ounces grapeseed oil (or any neutral oil)
- 5 ounces egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line 3 (6-inch) round cake pans. Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix to incorporate.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the buttermilk with the oil; set aside. Whisk together remaining buttermilk, egg whites and almond extract; set aside.
- Add butter to flour mixture and and mix on medium-low speed until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the milk and oil mixture and mix for 2 to 3 minutes until incorporated (to help build cake structure).
- Reduce speed to low and add egg mixture in 3 increments, waiting for each addition to be incorporated before adding more. Scrape sides of bowl after each addition. Divide batter evenly among pans and bake for 35-45 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- Make Frosting: Follow directions for Swiss Meringue Buttercream, with vanilla extract replaced by almond extract.
- Assemble Cake: Add each cake layer and top with buttercream. Frost the cake with a crumb coat. Place cake refrigerator for 10 minutes. Remove from fridge and apply another layer of frosting. Decorate as desired.