Lemon Cupcakes with Russian Buttercream
Prep: 30 min
Bake: 25 min
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Brighten up any party with the lemony goodness of these tender cupcakes. Just the right amount of fresh lemon flavor complements the rich condensed milk in the buttercream
- 3 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped (or use microplane zester)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line 2 standard cupcake pans with liners. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating until combined. Add buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix until incorporated (it may look broken). Add flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely on metal rack.
- Place Russian Buttercream Frosting in piping bag fitted with star tip. Frost cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Lemon cupcakes were AMAZING! beat the butter and sugar for atleast 5 minutes, it makes them so light and fluffy.
I have been told these are the best cupcakes ever…. Over and over again. Follow recipe to a T and you will have the perfect cupcake.
Made the 1234 cake for July 4th with caramel frosting! Huge hit with family and guests!!
Thank you Rhonda! We LOVE hearing when your creations are a hit. Happy Baking!