- 1 batch Gingerbread Cookie dough
- 16 ounces white chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 (1/4-ounce) packets (3 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
Gingerbread and White Chocolate S’mores
S’mores, those classic fireside treats that make summer camp and bonfires so special, now get a holiday makeover with the flavors of Christmas. They’re easy to pack in a pretty tin and give as a gift.
- MAKE COOKIES: Preheat oven to 375℉. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- ROLL gingerbread cookie dough out on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out 4 squares, each 7 ¾ inches in size; place on prepared baking sheets.
- SCORE the top surfaces of 2 of the dough squares, each into 16 small squares. (Do not cut all the way through the dough. Scored squares will be placed on top of assembled S’mores as a guide for cutting them into smaller squares.)
- BAKE both sheets of dough for 10 to 15 minutes until brown, but still soft. Let cool completely.
- MELT all but 1 cup of the white chocolate in microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring after each interval. When it starts to melt, remove from microwave and stir until completely melted. Set reserved cup of white chocolate aside.
- FLIP the 4 cooled gingerbread squares over carefully, so that the undersides are facing up; spread with the melted white chocolate and allow to set with chocolate side up.
- MAKE MARSHMALLOW: Heat sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stop stirring, increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Let boil until it reaches 260℉. While sugar is cooking, sprinkle gelatin over remaining 3/4 cup of water in a heat-proof bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place bowl of gelatin over simmering water and whisk until gelatin dissolves, then remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract. Beat egg whites in an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Whisk gelatin into hot sugar mixture, then gradually pour the sugar mixture into the whisked egg whites, while the mixer is on. Whisk on high speed until very stiff, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE: Pour marshmallow mixture over the 2 unscored white-chocolate covered cookie squares. Quickly drop dots of red food coloring over the surface of the marshmallow and swirl with a toothpick to create a marbling effect. Top with the scored cookie squares, placing them chocolate side down and scored side up.
- LET set for at least 3 hours. Once the marshmallow is firm, cut along score marks to create 32 small squares.
- MELT the reserved cup of white chocolate chips; drizzle melted white chocolate on top of each S’more and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
- For gingerbread cookie dough, Steen’s Pure Cane Syrup can serve as a substitute for molasses.
- Use a long serrated knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry before each cut. Gently cut the top gingerbread layer using a sawing motion. Once you get through the gingerbread layer, press the knife straight down through the marshmallow and bottom gingerbread layer.