Prep: 45 min
Bake: 30 min
Yield: 1 (8-inch) 3 layer cake
This all-American favorite hails from Texas rather than Germany, because the original version of the recipe called for “German’s” brand baking chocolate. Moist chocolate cake is layered with delicious coconut-pecan filling and topped with creamy chocolate ganache frosting.
- 2 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, or other neutral oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup hot coffee
- 6 ounces (1 stick + 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1//2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 2/3 cups toasted chopped pecans, divided
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined. Add to flour mixture and whisk until incorporated. Add coffee and whisk until smooth and completely combined.
- Divide batter evenly in the 3 pans. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in pans.
- Make Filling: Combine butter, sugar, egg yolks and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. As the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes), stir constantly. Remove thickened filling from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Cool completely before using.
- Assemble Cake: Set aside 1 cup of the filling for topping the frosted cake. Assemble cake layers, topping the first and second layers with the remaining filling. Cover and refrigerate while preparing frosting.
- Make Chocolate Ganache Frosting: Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe container and microwave at 10 second intervals until melted; whisk until smooth. Let cool until mixture reaches frosting consistency.
- Frost only the top of the cake, leaving the sides “naked” to reveal the layers. Place the reserved 1 cup of filling in the center of the top of the cake and use a small offset spatula to spread the filling to the edges of the top of the cake. Garnish with chopped pecans and toasted coconut; cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.