Prep: 30 min
Bake: 25 min
Yield: 2 dozen
Irish stout, Irish cream liqueur and Irish whisky add three touches of blarney to this delicious cupcake recipe made with Nana’s Simple Chocolate Cake batter.
- 1 cup of room-temperature Irish stout beer
- 1 batch Nana’s Simple Chocolate Cake batter (with boiled water replaced by stout beer; do not boil beer)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish whisky
White Chocolate Irish Cream Ganache
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur
Irish Whisky Buttercream Frosting
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 6 to 8 ounces Irish whisky (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Line cupcake tins with paper liners and fill each halfway with prepared batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking, make Whisky Glaze: Mix water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat and cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in Irish whisky. Brush the freshly baked cupcakes with warm Whisky Glaze.
- Make White Chocolate Irish Cream Ganache: Place white chocolate chips in a medium bowl and set aside. Heat whipping cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour hot cream over white chocolate chips and let set for 1 minute. Stir until white chocolate is completely melted. Add liqueur and stir to combine. Let cool, stirring occasionally until ganache is pipeable. Place in a piping bag.
- Make Irish Whisky Buttercream Frosting: Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Add Irish whisky and beat until combined. Place in a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Assemble Cupcakes: Remove a small amount of cake from the center of each cupcake and fill with ganache. Pipe swirls of frosting on top. Decorate with sprinkles and top with gold-wrapped chocolate coins, if desired.
- The baking time might seem long for cupcakes, but this batter needs the extra time to set.