- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons (313 grams) sifted Swan’s Down® Cake Flour
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (108 grams) dried, sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons (22 grams) finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) lightly packed orange zest
- ¼ cup (57 grams) chilled, cubed unsalted butter
- 1 cup (240 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) sanding sugar
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 15 min
Yield: 12 Scones
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- SIFT together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cranberries, ginger and orange zest. Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1 cup (240 grams) cream, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened.
- KNEAD flour mixture gently, on a lightly floured surface, 4 to 6 times, just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a 1-inch thick circle (about 5 inches wide). If desired, use a rolling pin to level top. Using a bench scraper or a thin-bladed knife, cut circle into 6 wedges. Place wedges 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- WHISK together egg yolk and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) cream in a small bowl. Brush tops of scones with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- BAKE for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve warm.