- 2 3/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- PRALINE CANDY
- WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE
PREHEAT oven to 350°
GREASE and parchment line (3) 8-inch round cake pans.
1. SIFT Swans Down Cake Four, then lightly spoon into measuring cup for 2 3⁄4 cups. Add salt, set aside.
2. COMBINE chocolate with water. Stir until chocolate melts. Set aside.
3. CREAM butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. ADD eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. DISSOLVE baking soda in buttermilk
6. ADD flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk, beginning with flour and ending with flour.
7. STIR in chocolate and vanilla.
8. DIVIDE batter evenly into prepared cake pans.
9. BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
10. COOL in pans for 10 minutes then remove from pans and let cool completely on wire rack.
1. PLACE first cake layer, top side down.
2. FROST cake layer with ganache
3. SPREAD 1⁄2 cup of ground praline over ganache.
4. TOP with second cake layer, topside down.
5. REPEAT steps 2 and 3.
6. TOP with last cake layer, top side down.
7. FROST cake with remaining ganache.
8. PRESS sides with ground praline and garnish with any remaining praline pieces.
There is a discrepancy with the flour. The ingredients say 2 1/2 cup sifted cake flour, but in the directions you say do 2 3/4 cups. Which is it?
Great catch Minnie! The directions are correct. The ingredients should call for 2 3⁄4 cup sifted Swans Down Cake Flour. We’ve made the correction to the recipe. Thanks!! Happy Baking!
What happen to the original buttermilk chocolate cake it wasn’t a praline candy or did you all just had the praline candy to the recipe.
Hi Callie, This is the original, delicious buttermilk chocolate cake, we just added the praline candy topping. Happy baking!
There was a recipe for a 3 layer chocolate cake on the back of the Swans Down flour box. It had almond and orange extract. I believe several sticks of butter. I cannot locate this recipe along with its https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiLyMuAkJ_kAhUNlawKHfMKBjsQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fswansdown.com%2Frecipes%2Fnanas-simple-chocolate-cake%2F&usg=AOvVaw0vtO4RZytIs8R9s69jQWuw. Thank you in adavanceaccompanying frosting. It too had several sticks of butter. The flour box I’m guessing was about a year old. Would you please locate that recipe and email to me? I’d be most appreciative
What size pan do you use
Hi Max, three 9-inch layer pans. Happy baking!
However delicious this cakes sounds to make; your recipe is flawed. You state to add vanilla to the cake batter but there is no vanilla ingredient amount. You state the Butter Filling and the Chocolate Butter Filling are separate recipes but there is no link and even if you search there is no recipe. Either fix the issues or remove the recipe.