- 2 1/2 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons half and half
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Brown Sugar Scones
Prep: 30 min
Bake: 25 min
Yield: 12 scones
What’s a tea party without scones? These are the perfect marriage of the larger, more crumbly classic scone and the smaller, more crispy tea biscuit – making them perfect for dunking in either tea or coffee.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line sheet pan with parchment.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Grate cold butter into flour mixture. Work into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add half and half a little at a time until the dough comes together. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1 1/2 to 1 inch thickness. Cut out scones using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter.
- Place scones on prepared sheet pan, brush with half and half, sprinkle with granulated sugar and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Bake for 25 minutes. Rotate pan after 20 minutes.