Prep: 30 min
Bake: 35 min
Yield: 1 (3 - layer) 6-inch round cake
Filled with wholesome ingredients like real ground pistachios (which give it a light, nutty flavor and lovely pale green tint), this beautiful cake is complemented by a delicious cream cheese frosting with a hint of orange flavor.
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/4 cup triple sec, clear
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and toasted + extra for garnish
- 1 3/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line 3 (6-inch) round cake pans.
- Combine eggs, Greek yogurt, triple sec, vanilla and almond extract together in a small bowl and mix well; set aside.
- Place sugar and pistachios in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine sand. (Be careful not to over process or it will turn into a paste.)
- Place ground pistachio mixture, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on low to combine. Add butter and 1/4 of the egg mixture. Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute to help build structure. (The mixture will be thick and moist.) Add remaining egg mixture in 3 additions, mixing on medium speed until fully incorporated into batter.
- Divide batter evenly in the prepared pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in pans, then remove from pans to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make Frosting: Finely zest the orange (reserve the remaining orange for another use). Place the cream cheese, butter, orange zest, honey and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream together until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.
- Assemble Cake: Top each layer with frosting and assemble, then frost the cake with a crumb coat. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes to set.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and apply a finish layer of frosting. Using a bench scraper or offset spatula, smooth out the cake surface, removing excess frosting to achieve a “naked” look that reveals cake layers. Garnish with roughly chopped pistachios.
Can the Triple Sec be replaced with something else or omitted?
What is Triple sec?
Hi Loretta, Triple Sec is an orange flavored liqueur used in cocktails such as the Cosmopolitan, Margaritas and Long Island Ice tea. It add a wonderful hint of orange to the delicious Swans Down Pistachio Cake. Not to worry, the alcohol will evaporate off during baking. Happy Baking!