Prep: 10 min
Bake: 80 min
Yield: 2 loaves (or 1 tube or bundt cake)
The summery citrus flavors of this classic, easy-to-make pound cake will brighten up any season or event. This vintage recipe, which makes 2 loaves or 1 tube or bundt cake, was first published in 1931 in Swans Down’s New Cake Secrets recipe book.
- 3 3/4 cups sifted Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (3 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Bourbon Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ounces bourbon whisky
- Preheat oven to 300℉. Grease 2 (9×5-inch) loaf pans (or 1 tube or bundt pan).
- Sift flour again, then add baking powder and salt and sift together three times.
- Cream butter thoroughly, add sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and orange zest and beat vigorously for several minutes. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 40 minutes, then increase heat to 325℉ and bake for 40 minutes longer. (If using a tube or bundt pan, baking time may vary.)
- Make Bourbon Orange Glaze: Combine butter, orange juice, orange zest and confectioners’ sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once the sugar has dissolved and the glaze looks syrupy, remove from heat. Stir in the bourbon and set aside.
- Remove cakes from oven and cool in the pans for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pans and transfer loaves to a wire rack set on top of a baking sheet. Pour the warm glaze on top and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
I love quick breads! I will make this. Love swans down!
I love your cake flour.
I think I have the Swans Down recipe book from 1931.
Can you make this as cupcakes
Pound cake recipes are not always perfect for cupcakes. They can be slightly spongy and sticky on top. Mini Bundts may work better. Happy baking!
This cake is so light and delicious. Everybody loved it.
Can this Orange Pound Cake be made in a round cake pan?
Hi Annette, Yes you should be able to bake the Orange Pound Cake recipe in 2 9″ round pans without any problems. The cake may bake quicker so we recommend that you begin testing at 20-25 minutes. Happy baking!
I don’t see where the Bourbon Orange Glaze Recipe is at.
Hi Janet, The recipe for the glaze follows the cake recipe. Happy baking!
what can you use in place of the bourbon?
Hi Jed, You can add an additional 2 ounces of orange juice and if you have it available use bourbon extract (no alcohol) or eliminate it all together. Happy baking!
Can’t wait to try it
My Grandma made this pound cake. When she passed no one had recipe. So thank .