- 1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 large eggs
- 2 lemons, finely zested
- 3 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, for glaze
- 1 cup sugar, for glaze
Lemon Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
- PREHEAT oven to 325°F
- BUTTER and lightly flour bundt pan.
- SIFT Swans Down Cake Flour and measure out 3 cups.
- CREAM butter, cream cheese and lemon zest in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- ADD 2 eggs, 1 cup sugar, one cup Swans Down Cake Flour.
- MIX on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated. Scrape bowl.
- REPEAT 2 more times with remaining eggs, flour and sugar, scraping bowl after each addition.
- ADD vanilla extract.
- BAKE for 1 hour 15 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- COOL in pan for 15 minutes.
- MAKE GLAZE: Heat lemon juice and sugar in small pot (or in microwave) until sugar dissolves.
- INVERT cake onto a cooling rack set over a sheet pan. Allow to cool to touch.
- WITH a toothpick, poke holes all over the cake.
- BRUSH glaze over slightly cooled cake.
- COOL completely before slicing.
Hi there can I put lemon juice in the cake?
Hi Ramona, You can certainly add some lemon just to the cake, but may need 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon extract to achieve a noticeable lemon flavor. Happy baking!
Can this lemon cake be baked in loaf pans?
Hi Sil, This recipe should bake nicely in 2 (9×5-inch) loaf pans. Happy baking!
My Mom used this cake flour and made the best cakes. Is there a difference if you use salted butter versus unsalted butter if the recipe calls for that?
You can use salted butter in place of unsalted. 1 Stick or 1/2 cup of butter typically has about 1/4 teaspoon of salt. It varies by brand. You should check with the brands manufacturer to get the exact amount then can adjust the salt in the recipe if needed. Happy Baking!
If i only have cream cheese that is 1/3 less fat will my cake come out the same.
Hi Ruthie, You should have no issues using the 1/3 less fat cream cheese. Happy Baking!
This is one of the best cakes I’ve ever made! I added some lemon zest to the glaze to bring out more of the lemon flavor?
Can you add lemon instant pudding the recipe.
you can substitute Baking Soda for Baking powder. Since baking soda is a much stronger than baking powder you have to add cream of tarter to the baking soda. So if your recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of baking powder substitute it with 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons cream of tarter.
Hope this is helpful.
Can this recipe be made with all butter instead of the margarine? I don’t use margarine, for obvious reasons.
Yes, you absolutely can use all butter. In fact, we’ve just updated this recipe, which is one that’s been handed down for generations, to specify all butter. Thanks, and happy baking.
Can I say I love this cake! I have been making it for over 10 years and passing the recipe along.
Thanks Beverly, and happy baking!
No baking powder or baking soda?
This is basically a pound cake, and no baking powder or baking soda are needed. Happy baking!