- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg and beat until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with adding the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Add vanilla and boiling water and continue to beat the batter on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour batter into the lined cupcake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cream Cheese Icing for Classic Cupcakes
- Mix cream cheese and sugar at low speed with an electric mixer.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix at high speed until fluffy.
- Chill in refrigerator until slightly stiff. Spread on cooled cupcakes and decorate with your choice of topping such as edible flowers, fresh fruit, grated chocolate or candy sprinkles.