- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg and beat until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with adding the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Add vanilla and boiling water and continue to beat the batter on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour batter into the lined cupcake pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cream Cheese Icing for Classic Cupcakes
- Mix cream cheese and sugar at low speed with an electric mixer.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla extract and mix at high speed until fluffy.
- Chill in refrigerator until slightly stiff. Spread on cooled cupcakes and decorate with your choice of topping such as edible flowers, fresh fruit, grated chocolate or candy sprinkles.
Does it matter if you use whole milk buttermilk for low fat buttermilk?
Hi Pat, You an use low-fat and whole buttermilk interchangeably without great differences in the final baked good. Happy baking!
Tried recipe today and cupcakes came out mushy in the middle. followed recipe exactly as written. disappointed
Hi Debbie, We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Classic Cupcake recipe. Your information was forwarded to our Consumer Relations Department. Someone will be reaching out. Happy baking1
I followed this recipe to the max and my cupcakes turned out delicious!!
This batter is SUPER loose (like alarmingly so). I went with it and was rewarded. Took exactly 23 minutes to bake (toothpick clean) and the cupcakes are light, moist and tender and perfect. Made 15 “normal size” cupcakes.
Is this batter supposed to be so “soupy”
Hi Karen, Thanks for your feedback on the Classic Cupcake. After testing it was noted that the recipe needed adjusting. A refreshed Classic Cupcake recipe is now in place. Thanks and Happy Baking!
Something went wrong and I had to throw them away. Could be operator error. I’m going to try again, using the same flour but a different recipe.
Hi Michelle, We’re so sorry that the recipe didn’t turn out as you had hoped. Please come back and let us know if you have success with the second recipe. Happy Baking!
Do I use salted or unsalted butter?
Hi Monika, You should use unsalted butter for the Classic Cupcake recipe. Happy Baking!
What can I use instead of buttermilk
Hi Kimberly, An easy substitution for buttermilk is; Use 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes before using. Or add 1 ¾ teaspoons of cream of tartar to 1 cup whole milk. You can find this substitution and many other useful tips on our Baking Tips page at https://swansdown.com/baking-tips/. Happy baking!
Can I ask how hot does the water have to be and when should I add it in ?
Hi Veruschka, The hottest that you can get from your tap, or just at boiling is ideal. You should add it in the second step “ADD remaining ingredients.” Happy baking!
Cupcakes were delicious. I can’t wait try the other recipes. Next time I need to make 24 cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday. I guess I will just double the recipe.
I just made these. They are so tender and delicious. The icing is perfect. So hard to eat just two. I will be making these often.
Thanks Melernea, and happy baking!
I use these and the cupcakes where amazing ?
These cupcakes were very disappointing. They turned out very “mushy,” which I attribute to the hot water. I won’t be making them again.
I have made these in the past using this recipe.. and people said they were the BEST cupcakes they have ever had. Every bit as good as the local cupcake shop!
You HAVE to use Swan’s Down cake flour or they won’t be nearly as good. General purpose flour won’t cut it…
What would I change to make these chocolate cupcakes.. with chocolate frosting? i.e. how much chocolate to add to the batter and frosting.
Made this recipe and it was amazing! The cupcakes were most and light. Absolutely perfect. I received so many compliments. I will never use another recipe for cupcakes again!
I am making the Whipping cream pound cake right now. This is about the 6th time I have made it. It is DELICIOUS!!