Chocolate Devil’s Food Cake
Prep: 20 min
Bake: 35 min
Yield: 18-24 cupcakes or 1 cake
This is a basic chocolate devil’s food cake recipe that can be made as cupcakes (pictured), a layer cake or a sheet cake and frosted with any sort of chocolate or buttercream frosting – or simply top it with freshly made whipped cream.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot, freshly brewed coffee (we used French Market® Coffee)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325℉ . Grease and line 2 cupcake pans (the batter is enough for 18-24 standard cupcakes). Alternatively, you can use 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, or an 18×13-inch sheet pan lined with parchment, but note that baking time varies with pans used.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add oil and coffee; whisk until combined. Add buttermilk and whisk until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined. (Batter will be thin.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for 18 to 25 minutes for cupcakes (Note: times will vary depending on pans used. See Kitchen Tip below for cake pan baking times) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
This cake recipe can be used with cupcake pans for 18 to 24 cupcakes (bake for 18 to 20 minutes), or 3 (9-inch) round cake pans (bake for 25 to 30 minutes), or 1 (18×13-inch) sheet pan (bake for 20 to 25 minutes).