Prep: 10 min
Bake: 50 min
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
This classic Southern dessert, with its custardy consistency, buttery richness and flaky crust, couldn’t be simpler to make and is sure to please even the most discerning pie lover. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it just can’t be beat.
- 1 prepared Basic Pie Dough crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (or buttermilk)
- PREHEAT oven to 425℉.
- ROLL out pie dough and place into a 9-inch pie pan.
- WHISK together melted butter, sugar, eggs, cornmeal and milk until all ingredients are well combined.
- POUR mixture into prepared pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 300℉ and bake for an additional 40 minutes until pie is golden on top and jiggles slightly in the middle when nudged.
- REMOVE from oven and place on a wire rack until cooled completely.