Chai Stuffed Vanilla Crinkle Cookies
Prep: 60 min
Bake: 36 min
Classic homemade vanilla sugar cookies with a delicious burst of chai spice in the center. Great for an everyday snack – or dress them up for any holiday or special occasion.
- 2 vanilla bean pods
- 3 2/3 cups Swan’s Down® Cake Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sanding sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chai spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PREHEAT oven to 325°F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Halve each vanilla bean pod lengthwise, scrape out vanilla bean seeds and set aside.
- MIX flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- BEAT granulated sugar, softened butter and vanilla bean seeds with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape down side of bowl. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until smooth.
- BEAT flour mixture into sugar mixture at low speed until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- MAKE STUFFING: Combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, chai spice and vanilla extract in a small bowl and mix well. Measure out 85 quarter-teaspoon scoops of the mixture onto a lined sheet pan and freeze for at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days).
- MEASURE approximately 85 half-inch balls of cookie dough; make a slight indentation in each for the filling. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- PIPE or spoon chai cream cheese mixture into the center of each round; fold some dough over the stuffing.
- ROLL cookies gently in sanding sugar and place on prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- BAKE each batch of cookies for 12 minutes or until edges are until light brown. Cool 2 minutes on sheets, then transfer to cooling rack.