Prep: 30 min
Bake: 30 min
Yield: 1 (3-layer) 8-inch cake
This homemade carrot cake is rich with nutty, spicy flavor and has a tender, moist crumb and delicious cream cheese frosting. Adding applesauce, pineapple and coconut gives it more tasty layers of flavor.
- 2 1/4 sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juices
- Toasted pecans and shredded coconut, for garnish
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces (2 packs) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound (1 box) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven 350℉; grease and line 3 (8-inch) cake pans with parchment paper.
- Make Cake: Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in large bowl; set aside.
- Mix applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture. Mix in carrots, coconut, nuts and pineapple.
- Divide batter equally into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in pans, then remove from pan onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Make Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until smooth.
- Assemble Cake: Place first cake layer top side down on cake plate or cake round. Top with a dollop of frosting and spread evenly over top. Repeat with second layer. Add third layer and use remaining frosting to frost cake. Garnish with pecans and coconut and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.